Friday, April 16, 2010

darn it

Ever since Susannah posted about her Speedweve Darner I had to have one.

This is the Canadian version, The Darn Easy.

It goes nicely with the mending wool I recently acquired. And darn easy it is. I was able to darn my sock in about 5 nanoseconds and that includes me having to look back at the directions the whole time. Way easier (and cheaper) than running to target to get a new pair.

And it looks super neat and tidy. I just need to figure out exactly how to tie off the ends so that they look just as neat.

And have I ever mentioned that darning is a good skill for me to have?

My toes eat hosiery for breakfast.
I think I am going to be getting a lot of use out of my new gizmo and doing a lot more darning. Why did we stop darning in the first place?

5 comments:

Susannah said...

Oh, awesome! It is exactly the same device as mine. I love the sassy rebranding.

I too have sock-devouring toes! Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

there's something for you on my blog :)

Jana said...

Jealous-I love that you were able to darn socks-It's crazy how many things we end up throwing out.
Jana

Anonymous said...

I too have purchased one of these little looms, I am interested if anyone has made anything with the darner other than using it for darning socks. I noticed on your blog that instructions for a cushion was with the Canadian version of this little gadget It would be interesting to have other comments as to its possible other uses within the textile theme.

amy said...

Anonymous, I have yet to do anything besides darning with mine. I think you could make anything you wanted with it given a little knowledge of weaving techniques. You would need to find a way to secure the one side of the piece and you would need to be comfortable weaving 2in x 2in at a time! But I think it is a great idea!