Monday, May 3, 2010

Sewing Karma: Weeks 3 & 4 April 19-25, 2010, April 26-May 2, 2010

Sewing Karma: Week 3 April 19-25, 2010
Total points earned this week: 0
Total points spent this week: 0
Total accumulation: 22

I spent my free time last week helping organize a eco weekend retreat during which I lead a session about green cleaning with vinegar and baking soda and co-lead a session about sourcing food locally in Chicago. I got to spend time with some friends as well as meet some new people. Ate a bunch of s'mores at the campfire and frolicked with some goats and chickens.


Sewing Karma: Week 4 April 26-May 2, 2010
Total points earned this week: 13pts
Total points spent this week: 0
Total accumulation: 35pts

Sink laundry. Normally I would not give myself points for this but I did 3 or 4 loads this week of stuff that has been waiting to be washed for almost a year. And I have made a resolution to stay on top of doing my sink laundry because 4 loads in a week is just too many.
+5

More darning. I don't think it is necessary for me to give myself points every week because I will be darning every week until I am not wearing tights to work anymore but... it helps to re-enforce the habit and I need to buy some denim so I can make a pair of jeans before the pair I have left busts. So yea.
A note on the darning. I have been asked by a few people, moms, if the darning irritates my feet. No, it doesn't. I have only worn darned tights and not my socks yet but I haven't had any problems. My toes usually get cranky at the toe seam ( why couldn't kitchener stitch be more popular in mass produced items??) but nothing with the darned patches. So go darn your socks for victory!!
+3

Most evenings this week I spent tailor tacking my fitting shell. I wanted to attempt tailor's tacks and since I choose to use gingham and a dark one using a tracing wheel and tracing paper was not visible at all. After tailor tacking everything, all markings as well as seam lines, I put it through the machine with a basting stitch to re-mark everything so that by the time I sew it all together I will still know what is what. dear lord help me.

+5

2 comments:

A Homely Heroine said...

What a great thing to do at the weekend, wish I could go on the next one. Well done on the sewing karma accumulation : )

kathleen said...

I sometimes feel stupid when I read entries like this because with so many people marking darts in this way (tailor tacks etc), I feel like I'm missing something because I've never done it this way. I guess I should shut up and just try a side by side comparison to see which renders a better result. It's not even the time factor -if this is better, then it's worth it. Fwiw, this is how I do it.